Wednesday, September 10, 2003

Japan's true National Treasure

You see them everywhere. These men in retirement years that find wonderful things to do with their time; gamble, wander the streets, checking the race reports, smoking, going to the track, going to the powerboat races, going to the bike races, gambling, smoking, drinking and urinating on the street. Yes, they are family men. They sacrificed their best years to make Japan a world economic powerhouse. And now they spend their time wearing their wife’s clothes.
What? Yes it is true. I first learned of this trend when in conversation with my riding friend Derrek, who lives near a popular sports center for horse racing and power boat racing. We were musing on the behaviors of our late middle aged friends; the look of disorientation, the aimless wanderings in their pajamas and such. Then Derrek mentioned one aspect I was unaware of; ladies clothes. Not the whole transvestite shebang, mind you, just a guy wearing women’s clothes.
My first sighting came on the subway. A sensible pants suit with a fringy blouse overlay; moderate heels and a broad summer hat: perfect for that long afternoon at the track. The kind subway passengers paid him no heed. He caught my curious eye with a look that said, “I see you are looking at me, I am looking at you as well”. You may be surprised to find out that it was me who felt like the outsider for showing interest and not our crossgender challenged friend.
The special treasure came yet again on one of my early morning cycle adventures (no longer referred to as training rides due to the flawlessly improbable nature of these sunrise forays into Tokyo’s bad streets). I am riding by Yoyogi park when I spot a jogger in a classic Olivia Newton John “let’s get physical” era work- out suit. It was a fine uniform of a purple thong leotard over lavender stockings, topped off with a sash purple headband. I looked at him as if to say, “I am disinterested, however I am looking”.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home